Saturday, 14 October 2017

KARIKALAN AND THE TIME MACHINE

                                       KARIKALAN AND THE TIME MACHINE
“I’m not playing with your life, sir!” Manikkam was positive. “You have misunderstood the whole issue. The Time Machine is like our Vedic Sages, our forefathers. Or like our own fathers. Would your father conspire against your life? Tell me, sir. You are afraid of something here. But I am positive that you were afraid of your own shadow in Chennai. You were going through hell. And that had been forgotten by you here. Just take a moment, sir. And think of the hectic time you were passing through till we met and I took you to my flat!”

“Fool, even in your flat I was mortally afraid. First I saw your grandfather framed inside a photo frame and when he came down it like a snake I had almost dampened my trousers. I was pissing in my pants, man. And then you took me into the Time Machine dark room. How I survived those tensed-up moments I can’t recall now!”

“That was part of the reason we are here, sir.” Manikkam was positive but not offending. “It’s all turned out for your good, sir. When the Time Machine took things into its able hands, it decided not to go to Kanji but come here to King Karikalan’s Chola Country. That is one thing that has turned out for your good. And I have seen my namesake and his family, which is my own family. This is for my good. So the Time Machine has taken the good of both of us into consideration. Can you deny it, sir?”

“Nop. I would rather not consider the machine has acted against me or my good. But for Valli my life would be unthinkable!”

“That is because you have been with each other for ages. You would certainly get my sister. But don’t forget or underestimate your namesake, Mr. Sivanesar. Because he holds the key, so far as I am concerned for all your other problems in Chennai!”

“How, and in what way is he, my namesake, is gonna help me out, tell me!”

“It is in the womb of time, sir. And I could not attempt to know that, now. But I have a feeling that before the day is out you would come to know of that. And then it would be time for our leaving here!”

“We will leave here with Valli, Manikkam?”

“That I can’t tell you, sir, right now.”

“That too is in the womb of time, Manikkam?”

“Yes, I would say that, sir.”

“What kind of man are you, Manikkam. How could you be so cool when it comes to Valli and me? Let me tell you, man, I’m not coming with you without Valli!”

“Leaving here is not in our hands, sir!” Manikkam said in that imperturbable tone of voice that was native to him.

“Leaving here is not in our hands, Manikkam? Then who holds the whip hand, tell me.”

“Like the Time Machine took us here on its own it will take us at the right time, sir. And that time seems to me to be nearing. That’s all I could tell you for now!”

The Super Star gave a start. “You mean the thinking Time Machine will decide as and when we should leave here?”

“Yes, sir. Something like that!”

“I tell you, man. If at all I’m coming back with you I would come with my Valli. Otherwise, your Machine is free to take you two. I would remain even without my body here where I can see Valli daily!”

“No, sir, its not possible!”

“Which is not possible, Hey?”

“We three came here. And the Machine would go from here, when the time is right, with the three of us. We have no say in this!”

The Super Star could not say anything for this. He just kept staring at Manikkam!  






No comments:

Post a Comment