KARIKALAN AND THE TIME MACHINE
Manikkam was one of
the menial staff of the Atomic Centre at Kalpakkam. But sivanesan had no
problem in mingling with all the staff, and he was noted for this streak. But
Manikkam himself was something of an enigma: his education and the job he was
at had nothing in common. He was highly educated. He lived in the area with
single bedroom housing units.
“Sir, I have been
watching you for quite some time now. You’re standing at the same spot staring
at the ground for some twenty minutes! If there is something troubling you, sir
please feel free to open your heart to me. Because I have had a crisis in my
life, and my beloved wife ran out without leaving a note. Of course, I was very
shocked, and could not go through life. At the time I was working in a private
firm and earned much, but then as I needed a change of scene I came here. Come and
join me, sir if you wish not to spend this night all alone; my crisis lead up
to some great achievement, and your crisis could also end up like that. So crises
are a new opening the gods give us! It is for us to use them or wallow in them
as though end of the world was announced!”
Sivanesan was much
impressed by Manikkam’s little speech, and consented to spend the night with
him.
When they went into Manikkam’s flat, the TV
was on and apart from that, from somewhere a welcoming sound as though from an
older person came out.
“I welcome you, my
boy!”
“What is this
Manikkam?” asked Sivanesan,” you said you were living alone, but there seems to
be someone living with you! But someone seems to be speaking to me!”
“That is none other
than my grand father, sir!” said Manikkam. ”He is a prankster and if you allow
him, he will trouble you much. Just ignore him!”
“Don’t you dare
talk like that in my presence!” the mysterious voice came, “Sivanesan is a good
chap unlike you. You never pay attention to me. I want to return back to
Mamallar’s world, and you have been detaining me here for your own sake; Sivanesan
isn’t like you!”
“Hey!” ejaculated
Sivanesan, “What’s all this? Have you been detaining some spirits here? I want
to leave this place immediately!” With those words, Sivanesan tried to leave
the small flat with small hall or living room, but the framed photo of an old
man attracted his attention.
Sivanesan stopped as
though pulled up short by someone.
Atop the doorway was
a framed photograph featuring some mobile old man, who looked like an old
Manikkam.
“Hey!” Sivanesan
shouted now, “That old man is talking to me. He looks like you! What’s all
this...m..?”
There was a
rustling sound, and Sivanesan looked up, and before his eyes, the out of the
photo frames, the old man descended as though descending a stair case! Presently
he came down to stand by Sivanesan! And he looked up at the frames of the
photograph atop the doorway, and it was empty!
No comments:
Post a Comment